Communidad Connect, a local community development organization, was recently featured on an international travel blog for it’s VolunToursim program. VolunTourism is a volunteer program that connects visitors with a wide range of ongoing community projects.. see: http://www.tipsfromthetlist.com/22176.html
Comunidad Connect focuses on community development projects around the San Juan del Sur area in the southwest of Nicaragua. These projects include recycling, financial literacy programs, sports, and VolunTourism. http://www.comunidadconnect.org
Fundación A. Jean Brugger is holding a unique fundraising party this Saturday, March 6. They are calling it the DOO-WOP SOCK HOP! It will be held at the Galeria del Sur Art Gallery from 6-10pm.
To gain admittance to the event, guests are asked to bring any of the following:
• a new pair of children’s sock
• a new outfit for a child (shirt and shorts/pants/skirt)
• a donation to the School Uniform Program
The event will feature tunes from the 50s, games, prizes, a fundraising auction and quintessential sock hop food: Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Coca-Cola Floats, Soda, Beer, Rum & Coke. Everyone is encouraged to wear 50’s style clothes!
For more information about Fundación A. Jean Brugger, visit http://www.fundacionajbrugger.org
- The second annual Earthship Pitaya Festival is happening this Saturday, January 30 in the community of El Carizal. This event was a lot of fun last year and promises to be equally wonderful again this year. With a great lineup of music, food, yoga and cock-fighting, this is a unique festival that pulls together ex-pats and locals in a fun-filled day.
- The festival’s mission is to bring a community of like minded individuals together to celebrate diversity, sustainability, music, local food, yoga and Nicaraguan culture in the best form possible; A music festival in the heart of the community of El Carizal, Nicaragua.
- There will be shuttle transportation from town (location to be announced) to the event site. Entrance fee is on a “pay what you can” basis. (at least it was last year). This is a full day event and all proceeds (should there be any) will go to community development projects in El Carizal…. so this isn’t the time to be tight with your money. Think what something like this would cost at home and then be generous and enjoy a great day!